The YDD Annex

Because One Blog Is Never Enough

Saturday, September 24, 2005

The Qualm After The Storm

I'm having just a bit of survivor's guilt; many, many other people were and are affected far more dramatically than we are. On the other hand, I haven't called about my late parents' mobile home near Lake Livingston, TX yet...

Nothing of ours was damaged in the storm, and it's a good thing: I am fatigued beyond belief. Most of it is stress, and the rest is moving stuff, packing stuff, securing stuff, deciding what is essential and what is not, etc., then reversing the process with whatever is left after the storm... which in this case is everything.

But this was nowhere nearly as bad as any one storm Bryan experienced in recent years. And my heart goes out to the people in Lake Charles, LA and Beaumont, TX; they're the ones who got pounded.

I'll continue to post at the YDD Annex for a few days. My web host has the complete, current YDD site up now, but I can't access FTP or even receive email. They will be history the next time I have to renew; unfortunately, I just paid for a whole year last month.
Thanks for all your kind words as Rita approached; you really helped us both.

6 Comments:

  • At 9/24/2005 6:43 PM, Blogger andante said…

    Get some sleep. Seriously.

    Between all the stress & anxiety, plus all the preparation/recovery activity your body and mind are much in need of some rest.

     
  • At 9/24/2005 9:39 PM, Blogger terrette said…

    I'm glad to hear that you and Stella and the littl'uns managed to weather the storm relatively well.

     
  • At 9/24/2005 9:59 PM, Blogger Mustang Bobby said…

    I hope you're asleep as I write this.

    It will take several days -- maybe even a week -- for the stress to dissipate. At least it did for me when Rita came through here. It's incredibly draining and having a good support mechanism helps. It sounds like you have that.

     
  • At 9/25/2005 8:38 AM, Blogger Frances said…

    You've been in fight or flight mode for a week now. Take your B complex and some kava kava. Listen to some etheral bell music and breathe deep. Scritchy the cats' neckies and listen to them purr. Give Stella a long long hug and look into her eyes.

     
  • At 9/25/2005 10:34 AM, Blogger Steve Bates said…

    Thanks to all of you for your kind words.

    I managed to get a decent night's sleep last night, not as long as I'd have liked, but that's biology at work, not meteorology.

    Bryan and Mustang Bobby, you know exactly what it feels like, and you have to experience this regularly. I'm out of practice; it was 1983 since we last had a hurricane here, and 2001 since we had major flooding. Rita was a "badder" storm than either of those, but did far less damage here. That, of course, doesn't lower the stress.

    Spiralsands, that's good advice. I always find it easy to look into Stella's eyes!

     
  • At 9/25/2005 10:42 AM, Blogger andante said…

    Of course, you could also try looking into the kitty's eyes and scratching Stella's neck.

    (Warning - results vary from family to family)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home