The YDD Annex

Because One Blog Is Never Enough

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Blog maintenance etc.

The Yellow Doggerel Democrat site is almost ready to go again. I have never been one to release something until I had tested it at least a bit... "thoroughly" is usually out of the question in the real world, because of pressure from people who never tapped code in their lives, but I have the luxury on my own site of taking my time. Tomorrow (at least) I'll still be posting here. If I'm satisfied with the result, specifically, with the stability of my host's changes, I'll move back in. It's a bit like returning home after a hurricane evacuation: you may want to push on the beams a bit to make sure it doesn't topple over easily.

Today we entertained three "evacuees": Catherine and her cats Lotus and Mitchell. The power (and hence the air conditioning) was out at their house until late afternoon, and it was an unseasonably hot day... 98°F was the prediction. We all had a delightful visit. Stella cooked up some curried rice and vegetables with medallions of Quorn veggie roast; it was well beyond delicious. Lotus and Mitchell were very polite guests, though Mitchell, always a skittish kit, attempted an escape over the permanent shower curtain to... well, you'll have to ask him where he thought he was going; we stopped him before he landed in the tub. Many of you have seen pictures of Lotus; she is as affectionate and playful as she is beautiful. I entertained at the piano... once I got the piano set up and all the plugs in the right place again. That sucker is heavy: I don't know if it actually weighs more than the harpsichord, but the harpsichord is mostly air, and the digital piano... you get the idea.

One wishes there were more time for such visits; it's a shame it takes a hurricane to get us all together.

2 Comments:

  • At 9/26/2005 12:13 AM, Blogger Mad Kane said…

    So glad you're okay!
    It sounds like you've made the best of a difficult situation!
    Mad
    http://madkane.com/notable.html

     
  • At 9/26/2005 12:34 AM, Blogger Steve Bates said…

    Thanks, Mad. It's always good to hear from you. Yes, things are OK here at the moment; I'm glad I'm not a couple hundred miles north and/or east of here... or even southeast in Galveston. They had it rough; we didn't. Stella and I were also lucky to have power almost throughout the storm; many friends were not so fortunate.

    Mad, except for the night of the storm itself, I've been reading your site every day; after all, as you say, "A limerick a day..." But it's been difficult to use a truly ancient laptop (1997) over a dialup, so I haven't done a lot of surfing or a lot of commenting. I'm gradually catching up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home