The YDD Annex

Because One Blog Is Never Enough

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Palast Tells Real Story Of Exxon Valdez

And it's much nastier than the "drunken pilot" story Exxon popularized. Read of Exxon's internally acknowledged intentions of out-waiting the locals in Valdez, lawyering the Alaskans' claims until they died... which has happened now in some of the Exxon Valdez cases.

As I age, I am beginning to see that the rise of large corporations, coupled with the legal concept of "corporate personhood," is among the most pernicious things America has created in the short span of its existence. I've worked for the damned things for much of my career, including oil companies (never Exxon, but that's just by chance, and I do not see them as materially different from one another), and sometimes, when I read stories like this, I feel I have much to answer for. I know, at least, that Exxon has much to answer for.

Oh, did I mention that the story refers to (wince) McCain?

---
(To be posted on the YDD when it revives.)

1 Comments:

  • At 3/09/2008 9:44 PM, Blogger hipparchia said…

    many of us have worked for the damned things, they're hard to avoid.

    also, they pay better. :)

    my grasp of history, both recent and ancient, is fuzzy at best, but i'd venture to say that for a few decades -- after the new deal and before reagan, roughly -- they weren't quite such the bad actors they are now. due in large part to the distinct unfreeness of the markets they were operating in. :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home